CRATE is a catalyst for economic growth, job creation and an activator in regeneration. We provide a packaged service for developers, local authorities and freeholders including scheme design and place-making, low-fuss offsite manufacture as well as operational management that ensures high occupancy and economic impact.
CRATE Activate Building community vibrancy
Our innovative design, with its permanent look and feel, has ‘lift and shift’ capability, meaning the building can be readily moved and redeployed to make way for the eventual redevelopment of the site. This solution can be used as a first intervention on large sites delivering strategic value over and above its return on investment. Alternatively, schemes can be left in situ for long-term value creation. This modular ‘one-box’ product is being future developed for residential purposes.
CRATE Make Inspiring light industrial
Alongside CRATE Make’s micro-and-SME clean-tech manufacturing back-bone, we deliver a business eco-system from logistics to serviced office, along with amenities, retail and desk-only co-working.
CRATE’s comprehensive business support enables all micro and small businesses to make the difficult journey to scale, with larger SMEs leveraging the on-site offer to attract, develop and retain staff.
CRATE Places Re-inventing retail
Greater diversity of business occupier drives the daytime economy and re-seeds the high street of tomorrow with innovative customer-focused offerings. Retail, leisure, amenities, creatives, co-working and micro-office spaces are curated and designed around desirable anchor tenant opportunities to create new footfall and long-term investment value.
Regeneration and Placemaking
We see immense benefits from working with CRATE for economic development and growth.
With national and local economic policy encouraging job creation and regeneration of under-utilised assets, the opportunity to collaborate and ‘placemake’ has never been so great. As a private sector partner, CRATE brings a design, build and operate service package that delivers economic activity and local vibrancy.
Our partnership approach delivers ground-breaking real estate. CRATE offers mixed-sector workspace solutions from light-industrial, to retail, amenity, makers/creators and office-based service businesses. Our approach works in short lease and permanent sites, as well as the podium space of residential developments. With our flexible and environmentally sensitive construction approach, awkward and under-utilised sites in every town and city across the UK can potentially host a CRATE scheme.
Our value proposition
CRATE schemes offer local authorities and developers the chance to generate a market-competitive return on investment from regeneration and/or placemaking activities.
- Placemaking that ‘pays it way’, turning an expense into a revenue generating return on investment (c. 10% net p.a. to freeholders).
- Commercial premises that match the needs of a large and increasing micro and SME market, delivering high levels of local jobs.
- Embedded physical and digital business support that ensures on-site and local businesses have a platform for growth.
- Workspaces that enable smaller firms to base themselves near larger local employers to access supply chains and distribution channels.
- Amenity businesses that serve nearby residents, the local workforce and other businesses (curated to local need).
- Growing-on space for tenant businesses through varied unit sizes of cross-sector uses.
- Seeding of larger, local commercial premises and / or the local high street on an ongoing basis.
- Solutions for awkward sites, variable lease lengths and S106 planning obligations.
- A packaged design and build / fit-out service managed and delivered at cost, with a success-based ongoing operating contract.
- Three delivery propositions (Activate, Make and Places), each adaptable to local need.
Quality that isn’t temporary or ‘meanwhile’
The flexibility of our cargo-tecture product means it can start out in one location and be moved to a second site with minimal fuss. Alternatively, CRATE can activate regeneration on a site for 5-10 years before businesses are re-housed into a purpose-built structure (or ground/lower floors).
At CRATE, our design and build philosophy for units and infrastructure is long-term. With routine maintenance, Crates have an equivalent life to conventional construction. Our unit appeal is enhanced by the sustainability of its internal construction, which exceeds modern business standards.
CRATE can develop exciting landmark schemes for your site
This invigorates local businesses and employees, while attracting inward investment and new / unexpected tenants.
Existing community site
Prospective sites only need a serviced land platform of:
- Pavement access & street lighting
- Electricity: 3 phase, 200 AMP
- Fibre optic broadband
- Water, mains drainage
- Level, cleared site with a Type 1 hardcore finish
- If contaminated, land to be encapsulated